To direct the start-up phase of the Human Technopole (HT), the Government established that two entities, the Coordination Committee and the Project Structure, had the commitment to drive and supervise the activities until the constitution of the HT Foundation within 24 months (DMCM, 16 September 2016).
In the “Stability Law” for 2017, the Italian Parliament also established that:
- The legal status of HT will be a “Foundation”;
- The founders of the HT Foundation will be Ministry of Economy and Finance (MEF), Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR).
The Coordination Committee was established by the Italian Government with the following duties:
- Provide the Statute of the Foundation. The draft of the Statue is currently undergoing the procedure for approval by the Italian Prime Minister.
- Supervise the development of HT according to the Masterplan and the activities of the Project Structure with particular attention to efficiency, transparency and efficacy in the management of the project;
- Check Project Structures operations and expenditures, with particular reference to allocation of financial and human resources;
- Help defining competitive recruitment procedures according to international standards;
- Report its own work to the Government on a six-months basis
On 18 November 2016 (DPCM, 18/11/16), the Prime Minister decreed the composition of the Coordination Committee.
According to the Prime Minister Decree, IIT will provide a Project Structure Team to support the operations of HT during the start-up phase. The Project Structure consists of an Administrative Project Structure (APS) and a Scientific Project Structure (SPS). Roberto Cingolani, Scientific Director of IIT, is the coordinator of the Project Structure.
The APS, coordinated by Francesca Cagnoni, head of the Research Organization Office of IIT, will provisionally ensure the following functions: Human Resources, Administration and Procurement, Management and Control, ICT, Technical Services, Legal Services and Secretariat. The APS is in charge of the hiring and training 17 new employees in the same start-up period.
The SPS, coordinated by Fabio Pammolli, full professor in Economy and management at Politecnico of Milan, will support the launch of the scientific initiatives during the start-up phase. The SPS is composed by a multidisciplinary team of scientists of complementary expertise and has the following priorities:
- To support the selection of the HT Director;
- To help the design and implementation of the main facilities
- To launch of the joint laboratory with Politecnico Milano
- To outline the profiles for the recruitments of the directors of the centers.